- Jake Arrieta’s control was spotty once again, but all the Royals could get across against him was a two-run homer. Things are just easier for a pitcher if they keep the hitters from putting the ball in play so much. Final line: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 7 K.
- Jim Johnson had two nice innings in relief, striking out a pair, and Mike Gonzalez finished it off with a perfect 9th (including a K to end it).
- The 4th inning was pretty good, as 6 hits and 3 walks led to 8 runs (easily their biggest inning of the year). Adam Jones had two of the base-knocks (double and a single).
- Mark Reynolds hit his 6th home run of the year – I figured he’d have close to twice that total by this point – and drew a walk. He also made an error at third. Hopefully he finished with more longballs than E’s, as right now the miscues are leading (8).
- Every inning but the 4th, offensively, where the O’s managed just 3 hits.
The O’s lock in the series victory, and move to within a game of .500 – a level they haven’t seen since the first of the month.