- Matt Wieters walked twice at the plate (taking his walk rate over 10% on the season), and threw a couple runners out on the bases (taking his catch rate over 53%). I love it when runners try to steal on Wieters. It’s like the other team is bunting with one out and a runner on first – sometimes it’ll work, but in the long run they’re just giving away outs.
- Adam Jones went 3-5 with a steal.
- Derrek Lee had three hits himself, including an opposite field home run. He also drew a team leading 12th free pass. BABIP has already come up, and now the HR/FB% is starting to as well.
- Nick Markakis was on base three times with a couple hits and a HBP – he was hit on the hand with a pitch that caused him to leave the game in the 9th (seems like he’s OK though).
- Jeremy Guthrie was not at his sharpest, walking a pair, hitting a batter, and giving up a couple of home runs. He might have given up more than the 3 runs without some defensive help (including a sliding catch by Luke Scott with the bases loaded and only one out).
- Josh Rupe. Not news.
- Mark Reynolds struck out three times. Which wouldn’t be as big of a deal if his one hit was a home run.
- Generally, 11 hits and 5 walks led to only 2 runs for the O’s.
The O’s don’t get the sweep, but I’ll take 3 out of 4 on the road. The loss does drop the team back below .500 again though.