In the last Spring Training game before starting the season in Tampa bay on Tuesday, the O’s have Brian Matusz on the mound against that other New York team. Matusz has been very good thus far, and I’m sticking with him as my pick for the AL Rookie of the Year award.
* Matusz kept rolling, pitching 4 shutout innings. He allowed just 3 singles, didn’t walk a batter, and K’ed 2. On merit, I think he’s the team’s #1 starter right now.
* Backing Matusz up, the bullpen – Albers, Hendrickson, Meredith, Ohman, JJ, and Gonzalez – pitched 5 scoreless innings. They didn’t walk a batter, struck out just one, and gave up 6 hits.
* Offense – and lots of it – as the team pounded out 11 runs on 14 hits and 5 walks.
* Miguel Tejada went 2-4 with a double and a grand slam.
* Nolan Reimold was 2-2, including a home run of his own as well as a walk.
* Adam Jones had three hits, and even Cesar Izturis added a couple of base-knocks.
* It was only against the Mets?
Dominant 11-0 win for the Orioles, finishing up the Spring on quite a high note. Their record is below .500 at 12-16-1*, but it’s not so horrendous as to have me worrying about their regular season fortunes any more than I was otherwise.