The Orioles hosted the 2009 AL Central Division champs today, with Brian Matusz making his second Spring Training appearance against Kevin Slowey of the Twins.
* Matusz gave up two runs in the first, but ended up pitching 2.2 solid innings. Of the 8 outs he got, 6 were on strike-outs. That makes 10 K’s in 4 IP for Matusz this Spring.
* Luke Scott getting some work in at first-base. This should have been a more prominent part of the O’s planning, but better some than none.
* Wieters twice worked himself into good hitter’s counts at 3-1 and 3-0, but flew out both times (deep to the opposite field). Nice to see, but feel free to take a base on balls once in a while. He added a single in his final at bat.
* Garrett Atkins being on the roster (and being paid $4.5 M this year). He didn’t play today, but this is in reference to the above regarding Luke at first.
* Mike Gonzalez had a tough inning, giving up two hits and a walk, but having a runner killed at the plate by Adam Jones(with an assist on the relay by Luke – and a lack of a slide by Brendan Harris).
* Lefty Mike Hinckley wasn’t quite so lucky, as his two hits and a walk resulted in a pair of Twins’ runs.
* The O’s bats; no runs, three hits, and three walks. Given just the 4 K’s, you have to give a little credit to the Twins’ defense (and luck).
With the 5-0 shutout loss, the Orioles drop to 1-5 for the Spring. Only the Nationals at 0-6 have been worse.