Kevin Millwood has been pretty terrible this Spring, but his job is to give the team innings during the season. It would be nice if he could throw up a non-stinker at some point though.
* Millwood was pretty good, giving up just a single run (on a solo home run), 5 hits, and 3 walks in 5 innings, while striking out 6 (including Utley and Howard twice each).
* Will Ohman continued to impress, K’ing 3 in his inning of work (with a walk).
* Felix Pie came in for a DH’ing (and leading off) Nolan Reimold, and proceeded to walk and homer. I really want to see Pie get some serious playing time this year.
* Back-up outfielder Jeff Salazar also picked up a walk and a hit (single) after coming in later in the game.
* Matt Wieters went 2-4 and drove in a run.
* Josh Perrault almost blew the game, giving up 3 runs on 3 hits (including a homer) in the bottom of the ninth.
* Garrett Atkins went 0-3 at the plate (including a K), and also made an error at first-base. You earn that $4.5 M Garrett!
In a script that hopefully will go not too differently during the season, Kevin Millwood had a solid start and then the bullpen held it with Mike Gonzalez and Jim Johnson tossing scoreless frames at the back-end (minus Perrault). The O’s pick up the 5-4 win, and move their Spring record closer to .500 at 8-10.