In game two of their home-and-away series, the O’s travel to Toronto’s Spring Training local. Jeremy Guthrie gets the start, and Cesar Izturis is batting lead-off again.
* Mark Hendrickson gave up no runs and walked none in his inning of work, but allowed two hits. Yeah, that’s the good pitching performance for the day.
* Justin Turner walked twice and struck out. I like that working the count.
* Adam Jones and Matt Wieters each went 1-3 with a solo home run.
* Guthrie got roughed up, giving up 3 home runs and walking 3 with recording a strike-out in 3 innings pitched. Overall, he was charged with 7 runs (6 earned) on 7 hits, and his Spring ERA sits at a tidy 9.28.
* Frank Mata “relieved” him, also allowing 1 HR, 1 BB, 2 H, and 2 ER per IP (though he was only left out for a single frame).
* Alberto Castillo gave up a home run (1.2 IP), but at least he didn’t walk anyone.
* Same with Matt Albers, though he got through 2 innings.
* Koji Uehara got one out (via the strike-out) and also gave up a run (though not a longball).
* It wasn’t just run prevention from the mound, as Miguel Tejada made a couple of errors at third-base.
The Orioles got blown-out, 13-3, and drop to 5-10 on the Spring. So much for the awesome job the bullpen has been doing (it’s only one game, but one bad game out of 15 skews things plenty).