Brian Matusz has been striking people out left and right this Spring, but faces a some tough opponents in the NL Champion Philadelphia Phillies – with all their stars in the line-up.
* Matusz needed only 57 pitches to get through 5 innings, giving up a run on 3 hits, walking none, and K’ing 2.
* Wilfrido Perez struck out two in his inning of work, also walking one.
* Adam Jones and Nick Markakis each had a couple of singles in four plate appearances, who Jones also had a sac fly.
* Robert Andino one upped them, since his 2-3 included a two-bagger. The also stole a base, drove in a run, scored two, and did magic tricks between innings.
* Josh Bell picked up a hit and drew two walk (the O’s only ones of the day).
* Cesar Izturis batting lead-off. I’m sure my complaining about Dave’s line-ups is getting annoying. Haven’t moved to the acceptance stage yet.
* Jim Johnson had to be removed mid-inning after giving up two runs on two hits and a walk, while only getting two outs.
Again not a lot of offense for the Birds, but Matusz had a good start and most of the bullpen was solid. The 4-3 win moves them to 3-8 on the Spring.