Due to a rain delay, the game didn’t start until after 10:30 pm. For some reason, I decided to actually watch the whole thing. Totally worth it.
* Corey Patterson went 4-5, with a double and a two-out game-tying grand slam in the top of the ninth inning. Then he was intentionally walked in the 10th. On the salami, he was facing Feliz with the bases loaded and the O’s down 6-2. First pitch was a 94 mph heater that Corey ripped foul – he was actually out in front of it. Feliz kept going to the fastball though, and on a 2-2 one* caught a little too much of the plate and Patterson launched it into the upper deck. Amazing. I have no idea why the Rangers didn’t at least try to bounce a curveball, but I’ll take it.
* Apparently it was actually a change-up – at ~89 mph – but the point still stands; throw him something with a wrinkle in it out of the zone.
* Jake Fox won the game for the O’s in the top of the 10th, hitting his 5th home run of the season. Didn’t do a terrible job in left-field either.
* Craig Tatum picked up 2 hits in 3 trips to the plate after coming in in the 5th inning..
* Nick Markakis doubled twice, and Adam Jones also went 2-5.
* Scott Moore doubled in three at bats and drew a walk.
* The bullpen did a nice job holding things close; especially Matt Albers, who pitched three scoreless innings.
* Injuries. First Matt Wieters pulled up lame running the bases (hamstring), and had to be taken out. Then Felix Pie got hurt swinging at a pitch, and he had to be taken out. We’ll see if either is serious, but it’s not exactly good news.
* Brian Matusz didn’t bring his command to Texas, and couldn’t get passed the third inning; 3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR. The start of the game looked pretty terrible – not sure why I decided to stick it out instead of going to bed.
* The defense made 3 errors (Tejada, Wigginton, and Tatum) resulting in 2 unearned runs.
The game was pretty terrible for the first 8 innings, but after that it was awesome. The final out wasn’t recorded until 2:25 am as Alfredo Simon worked a 1-2-3 10th for the save. O’s win 7-6, in very exciting fashion.
Here’s the win probability graph: