* Guthrie did not have his best control – walking three and throwing 114 pitches in 6 innings – but was able to minimize damage to just one run on 6 hits.
* Nick Markakis singled, walked twice, and then lined a pitch over the scoreboard for his third home run of the season. If he goes back to turning on the ball occasionally while keeping the walk rate up then he should finish with a nice line this season.
* Miguel Tejada also took two free passes, bringing him to 8 on the season. For comparison, Nick has 8 walks in his last 6 games (counting today). Miggy also looked good at third, making a diving (well, somewhat falling) catch.
* Mark Hendrickson pitched two scoreless inning in relief, and then Will Ohman worked a perfect 9th.
* Matt Wieters went 0-3 with 2 strike-outs, and looked bad waving at a couple of pitches at the plate as a right-handed batter. Then he doubled in a run off the scoreboard in his first at bat left-handed. He has a .332 career wOBA as a left-handed batter and a .303 wOBA right-handed, though he’s been a little better versus lefites than righties this year.
* Julio Lugo was 0-4 with 2 K’s as well.
Nice victory coming off a rough stretch for the team. The A’s offense proved more futile, and the Birds win 5-1. No game stuff tomorrow as the softball team tries to follow suit after two losses and a couple rain-outs.