* Nice start from Matusz, though his control has a touch shaky. Final line; 7 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 6 K. The 11 groundouts to 3 flyouts makes me especially happy.
* Ty Wigginton went deep – twice – and is now second in the majors in home runs with 12. Wow.
* Markakis walked and doubled to left-field. Also made a perfect throw to the plate to keep a runner at third on a potential sac fly. Typical day for Nick.
* Koji did some good work coming out of the pen. Entering the game in the 8thafter Ohman walked Hafner, he got a pop-up and a strike-out to send the game to the 9th. Uehara did walk pinch-hitter Russell Branyan, but that was after a pretty clear strike-three at the knees was called a ball.
* The O’s had two runners thrown out trying to steal – Jones and Izturis – with the latter getting caught with runners on the corners and one out. Terrible time to run. Patterson hit what would have been a sac fly, but turned out to be an inning-ending flyout.
* Only 8 base-runners on the day (6 hits, 2 walks), despite only striking out 4 times. More hard-hit balls, please.
*Alfredo Simon didn’t have his control walking a batter a giving up two groundball singles through the infield (one to drive in a run) before hanging an 0-2 splitter to Austin Kearns who deposited it into the left-field seats. Tonight he was pretty weak-sauce.
* Cla Meredith relieved him and wanted to make sure the ending wasn’t in doubt. Two outs recorded and four runs allowed – including a home run of his own. 2-0 9th inning lead turned into an 8-2 deficit. Brutal.
Didn’t expect his one to be such a pitcher’s duel, by Talbot did a nice job hitting the corners for Cleveland. Matusz and Wiggy did the job for the O’s, until the blown save in the 9th by Simon and the piling on allowed by Meredith. O’s lose 8-2, and fall to 12-25 on the season. No game preview tomorrow, as the Orioles try to take the series from the Indians with David Hernandez on the mound.