The Orioles went 3-1 while I was away, which was a pleasant surprise. Nice to see Brian Matusz had a solid start (Guthrie too), as well as Chris Tillman making an appearance (even with the two home runs). Nick Markakis even hit a home run! So good times all around this past weekend.
* Jake Arrieta gave up a number of hits, but did a pretty good job of keeping the ball down in the zone while throwing a lot of two-seamers. Facing a line-up full of (quality) left-handed batters, you have to give the kid some credit. Final line; 6.1 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 3 K, plus 9 groundballs to 6 flyballs.
* Matt Albers and Mark Hendrickson combined to pitch 2.2 perfect innings out of the pen.
* Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis, and Ty Wigginton each picked up a pair of hits.
* Nolan Reimold took CC Sabathia deep for his first major league homer since May 5th (also in New York).
* Would have liked to see more than one walk, though that’s not really new for this team.
* There were some less than stellar defensive plays, including from Adam Jones in center.
The Orioles are 21-13 under Buck now. At (temporarily) 6 games ahead of the Pirates, the team is actually closer to having the 9th worst record this year than the very worst.. Who would have expected that two months ago?